If a debilitating mental illness like manic depression, schizophrenia, or republicanism has stolen your ability to make rational decisions – you’ve gone through a confidence crushing emotional sea change.
For many of us, it can be months, even years, before we regain the ability to observe, analyze, and evaluate the never-ending stream of input with clarity, agility, and unwavering authority.
Today’s recovering lunatic must contend with what I shall refer to as moral and emotional relativism and the insufferable twaddle known as political correctness. Anti-intellectualism is the height of fashion; claiming truth affords one as much credibility as being able to prove it. Sparing hurt feelings now takes precedence over honesty.
Fuzzy-headed social engineers would have us believe that everything is awesome, there are no losers, and all it takes to fulfill one’s wants and desires is the ability to visualize and wish with a level of naïve sincerity most frequently encountered in the puzzled expressions of unsuccessful prize fighters struggling through the final days of regrettable careers.
Faculties at last back where they belong, shoulders squared, you will gaze upon the rotting remains of what was once, at best, a mediocre culture and wonder – is this bullshit or is it me? At that precise moment, the extent of your recovery will be determined by your ability to say – this is bullshit – with confidence.
Like a muscle gone weak from neglect, the courage required to repudiate social stupidity must be rebuilt. To help you do so, I have prepared a diverse assortment of questions that call for snap judgments. Remember to trust your visceral responses. Good luck!
1. The meek shall inherit the earth. True_ False_
2. Quentin Tarantino once had an original idea. True_ False_
3. Everything happens for a reason. True_ False_
4. Harmony and joy will return to this troubled world of ours only after Garrison Keillor has been pecked to death by a duck. True_ False_
5. You are unique. True_ False_
6. Sacha Baron Cohen is funnier than syphilis. True_ False_
7. All men are created equal. True_ False_
8. In hell, all elevator Muzak is by Pink Martini. True_ False_
9. Creationism should be taught in high school science classes as a legitimate alternative to evolution. True_ False_
10. In Narcotics Anonymous, describing The Grateful Dead as – “a hideous shambles of talentless wing-nuts I can no longer endure” – is considered a pivotal breakthrough moment in recovery. True_ False_
1. Sadly, this is not true, except to the extent that they will be buried in the earth.
2. False. No evidence supports this, although there is a remote possibility that he had one and kept it to himself.
3. True – frequently a bad reason.
5. True. You are indeed unique; it’s one of the few qualities you share with everyone else.
6. True. Sacha Baron Cohen is a tiny bit funnier than syphilis.
7. False. Nobody believes this.
8. True. While no one has returned from hell to validate this, the force of logical deduction seems irrefutable.
9. True. In addition, Bozomism (clown worship) should be preached in all churches as a legitimate alternative to Christianity.
10. True. There is no record anywhere of a person listening to the Grateful Dead while sober.